I ask because about 30 years ago… big hair was a big trend!
Well, it turns out, we were spraying some nasty stuff on our hair…
And as a result, into the air.
That kind of “indoor pollution” was shown to cause all sorts of health issues – including adding pounds to your frame and inches to your waistline.
I was bad enough that they had to start regulating hairspray!
Well, we’ve just received word that it might be happening again.
You see, new research has revealed that even though outdoor pollution is decreasing… pollution INSIDE YOUR HOME is absolutely skyrocketing.
In fact, outside air is probably safer than the air in your home… even if you live in a highly-polluted city like Los Angeles.
Because chemicals from things like kitchen cleaners, air fresheners, pesticides, printer ink, paint, and even dish soap make up about HALF of what’s polluting our air?
And every time you clean your counters, spritz perfume on your wrist, or paint your living room walls…
Those fumes are getting trapped in your house, thanks to insulated walls and the roof over your head.
But don’t worry – you don’t have to go “off the grid” to get away from the pollution inside your house…
There are a few things you can do to protect yourself from the pollutants that are lurking around your home:
Tip: if your household items have any “warnings” on them, that can be a surefire way to figure out if they’re good or bad for you.
According to the National Safety Council, here’s what to keep an eye out for:
- CAUTION: there products have the lowest level of potential harm. Not great, but not the most dangerous stuff out there. These will be your best “commercial” option.
- WARNING: Anything with a “warning label” carries more risk – you could become seriously ill or injuted by this product. Avoid these ones if you can, but they’re still a better option than anything marked:
- DANGER: Red alert!! “Danger” has the highest risk – you’re susceptible to skin damage, blindness, sickness, damage, or worse.
Overall, I think it’s best to avoid any product that says “harmful if swallowed.” Which leads me to my next point…
TIP: For most household cleaning projects, a mild solution of vinegar and water will work just fine. Researchers have known for years about the cleaning power of vinegar, so you’re using a time-tested method
Simple mix equal parts white vinegar with tap water.. and voila!
Spray it directly on any hard surface, and wipe clean with a rag.
If you’ve got an especially “grimy” spot to clean, you can even use straight vinegar. It’s stronger, and you’ll notice a strong vinegar scent – but that will go away as it dries.
Now, I know reports like this can seem really scary! And I don’t want to scare you into throwing away all these products you use on a daily basis…
After all, even though I do my best to toss all those iffy products in our home….
Truth is, I still have a few pesky items here and there. (Hey, sometimes it takes a little more than “elbow grease” to get things clean!)
But by just tossing a few of these “bad news” chemicals… you can make your home cleaner, safer place for you and your family.
Looking out for you,